Friday, April 29, 2011

The Rose of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #1)The Rose of Shanhasson by Joely Sue Burkhart

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I worship Ms. Burkhart.  She is an amazing writer.  Each time I read one of her books, I think, why didn't I read this book earlier?  I am so glad I purchased this book and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Shannari is a literally a warrior princess.  I love this strong yet prim and proper lead female character.  What I enjoy about Ms. Burkhart's writing style is that she doesn't explain her world or tell me how it works. She reveals the world like a rose opening from a bud into full bloom. 

Something that really spoke to me in this story was Gregar and Shannari's relationship.  I am reassured that I'm not an anomaly because of how Ms. Burkhart explained Gregar and Shannari's dark ties through dreams.  For years, Shannari and Gregar have been in each other's dreams.  Their dark side, known as shadow, has brought them to love each other deeply yet kill each other.  Sometimes he kills her; sometimes she kills him.  They recognize each other when they finally meet in real life.  The reason why this speaks to me is for years, I've had dreams of the same lover whom I've never seen.  In these dreams, I've been hunted by him, sometimes captured, tortured and killed.  Other times, I've hunted him and had to kill him.  Each time, my heart breaks in my dreams.  The very last time I dreamt of him, he did something different.  He let me go, instead of killing me.  Because he let me go, he was killed by his forces as a traitor.  I remember waking up crying from that dream.  In Ms. Burkhart's story, Gregar and Shannari's doomed love was so similar that my heart broke a bit for Shannari because I could guess the ending between the two.  For Ms. Burkhart to weave this into the story, I'm guessing she's had a similar experience.  Makes me feel not so lonely.

While I loved Shannari's and Gregar's relationship, I loved her relationship with Rhaekhar just as much, in a completely different way.  He is an alpha male with a wicked sense of humour.  He's also amazingly compassionate.  Ms. Burkhart's men are impossible to compete with, in real life.  There are no men who could possibly be like them.  They are everything a strong woman wants in a mate.  Her men make me yearn for things that I thought I'd long forgotten or repressed.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy strong lead characters who aren't afraid to hold themselves to higher standards.  This was truly a romance story which melted my heart.  The surprise menage a trois with the edge of danger makes me shiver.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment